Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A Reason to Fight

I was reading this the other day and I couldn't help but ask myself, Why are you involved with the Stepout: A Walk to Fight Diabetes?

Reading Kelly's blog defiantly made me feel sad. A little girl 13, with Type 1 Diabetes lost her life to something called Dead in Bed Syndrome. I have never heard of that until that blog post.

Did you know that Diabetes kills more Americans each year than breast cancer and AIDS combined? *


Its quite a reality check to know that statistic. Seems to me, that most people do not understand the severity of the disease. As most PWD have experienced when someone finds out they have the D, the comments like, "So you cant have sugar?", "Can you eat that?", or "My Grandmother or Uncle has Diabetes too", (when in fact its Type 2 and I deal with T1) mostly because they just are not schooled on what diabetes is, the different types, and complications. This is not just Diabetes a complication that is managed by not eating sugar. Diabetes kills adults and children everyday.



*Did you know that 1 in 3 Americans could have Diabetes by 2050, This article explains more.


I am involved with Step Out, because I want change.
I walk because I don't want to go another year being in the same place as the last. Building on what I've already learned, and educating those around me.
A reason to fight to push myself for the BEST me, not just a better me.
I don't want to just be, I want to live to the fullest, even for the people like Kelly said "who can't fight anymore."
This walk signifies a tool of strength for my life. Even though sometimes, like last Friday I sobbed, because sometimes it feels like T1 Diabetes is too much to deal with, BUT I want/will keep putting one foot in front of the other on this journey in Faith.
I will walk for my brother who has T1 since he was 12 now 26, and still fights to manage this disease properly.
This walk is change for me.
Being involved with this event, helps for more research, brings awareness, educates, because we all know someone who fights Diabetes daily.

The date is coming up where we will walk for this cause and I am believing I will raise at least 100$ before November 6. If you would like to donate click here.

Naomi

* info found from ADA

No comments:

Post a Comment